This examination consists of applying a dye penetrant on the examined surface. After penetration time, the developer is applied. Due to the absorption properties of the developer is highlight the discontinuities open to the surface.
- Identification of all defects opened to the surface, including the ones that can not be seen on visual examination.
- Examination of welded joints of metallic and nonmetallic (ceramic, aluminum, etc.)
Types of examinations:
- Dye penetrant examination – color contrast.
- Fluorescent penetrant examination.
- The method is very sensitive to the presence of small superficial discontinuities which makes it superior to visual examination.
- There are few use limitations. At the same time, several small objects can be tested without compromising quality standards, thus osaving time and reducing costs considerably.
- Complex geometries can also be tested.
- Penetrant red or fluorescent;
- Cleaner or water for removing excess of penetrant;
- UV Lamp.